Oh, East Coast summer…I didn’t miss you at all. I can’t walk outside without my hair taking off in every direction and being covered in a sheen of sweat. There’s no “feminine glow”…just nasty sweat. Ew. And what makes it worse is that I go to school with a pretty well put-together group…and not only did I never really learn to dress myself properly, but I walk and/or bike to class and here they all are, dressed up like they’re going to the yacht club and in walks the Swamp Thing. Yup, real attractive.
OK, let’s talk about these little squares of heaven. Something about chocolate, nuts, and carmelized bananas is just so…right.
I originally called these “brownies” because that’s exactly what they reminded me of…rich, gooey (not cake-y! Cake-like brownies are an abomination!!) little squares backed with bananas and nuts…except they clearly aren’t chocolate. Well…they do have chocolate chips. Is that enough? I really don’t know where I’m going with this.
Oh, and obviously there is no butter in them, either. But if you’ve never used cashew butter, I insist you do…you know how cashews are damned addictive because they just…melt in your mouth and taste so…buttery? OK, well I guess mashing them up into a paste just enhances all of their awesomeness by like, a zillion. Just…just do it.
One note on these…coconut manna (also known as coconut butter or coconut cream concentrate) is the key to the texture. It’s smooth (not as grainy as many nut butters) and has a hint of coconut flavor that pairs sooooo well with the bananas. However, even I have a hard time finding the stuff at times, so in a pinch any nut butter will do. Do NOT use coconut oil. For the frosting, in a pinch, just try plain old almond butter with a drizzle of honey. It’s like a very naughty PB&B
- 2 Bananas, sliced
- 2 T Coconut Oil
- ½ c Coconut Flour
- 6 Eggs
- ½ c Coconut Manna
- ⅓ c Honey
- 2 t Vanilla
- ½ c Chopped Walnuts
- ½ c Chocolate Chips (dairy-free, soy-free, etc)
- ½ c Coconut Manna
- ½ c Cashew Butter (any nut butter would be fine)
- ¼ c Coconut Oil
- ¼ c Honey
- Heat the coconut oil over medium heat in a skillet.
- Add the bananas and sautee until fragrant and golden brown. Remove from heat.
- When bananas have cooled slightly, mash completely in a large mixing bowl.
- To the mashed bananas, add the coconut manna and honey and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Add the coconut flour and eggs a bit at a time, beating well in between. When mixture is fully combined, beat for 2 minutes on high.
- Stir in the nuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour into a greased 8×8 baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Frost with Butter Fudge Frosting…
- For the frosting, add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer, slow at first to combine, then on high for three minutes, until fluffy.