I saw this recipe for Thai Burgers the other day on MDA and haven’t stopped thinking about them all week. No, really…I’m on break at last and the prospect of cooking and eating real food for 6 weeks has made me positively euphoric.
And so the day comes…yesterday…after the first wave of holiday festivities are over and I’m ready to make a nice dinner at home for the two of us. Oh, so I’m finally going to make these burgers. Except. I have…nothing. Well, except ground beef.
With an Asian theme still on the brain and pretty much nothing but leftover veggies to work with I turned out a batch of meatballs instead. Just…too good. Maybe not as pretty as the burgers, but I’ll take it.
- 2 lbs ground beef or pork
- 3 T fish sauce
- 3 T chili paste
- 2 T coconut aminos
- ¼ c coconut milk
- ½ t ground ginger
- ¼ t garlic powder
- ¼ c chopped green onion (or any onion for that matter)
- ¼ c chopped mushrooms
- 1 large carrot, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.
- With your hands, mix the ingredients until blended but DO NOT overmix or else the meatballs will be tough.
- Shape the mixture into meatballs (golf-ball size for me), and arrange in a greased baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 375 degrees.